• March 11, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Neither Charlie nor I are morning people…When his neurologist switched to morning only hours we switched neurologists this month.. In doing so we discovered that both used 2 entirely different regimens but would prescribe Aricept and Namenda.

Doctor #1 is pro-Aricept and does not mention Namenda unless questioned about it. When asked his reason…He stated that both drugs are expensive…He believes that Aricept is the better of the 2 and that neither does a really good job…He does not want caregivers to feel that they are providing substandard care if they cannot afford both.

Doctor #2 likes to start her patients out on Namenda. She will introduce Aricept when the patients have taken Namenda for a couple of months. She says that taking Namenda helps to counteract some of the side effects of Aricept (stomach upset and diarrhea). Like Dr. #1, she feels that neither drug does much to stop cognition losses…Her theory is that both often help in behavior issues…Since I have no behavioral issues, she feels that the use of either medication is optional for Charlie.

In December…after 2 years of taking Aricept and dealing with cramping and diarrhea we unilaterally decided to discontinue Aricept. Charlie appears to be holding in the area of cognition and thriving in the area of general health…Eating more (relatively normal portions at meals and grazing on healthy and unhealthy snacks during the day).

He is currently taking no medication other than Norvasc for high blood pressure. Within the last month he has started taking Fish Oil, a Super B Complex, and 1000 mg. Cinnamon was added this weekend.

I’m feeling jumpy about his taking neither Aricept or Namenda and would like others to share their opinions.

• March 12, 2008 at 1:58 am

I really don’t know that much about either medication… I can just relate what my MIL is taking. That was just Aricept for the first year and a half and now (because I mentioned it and found out about it via the internet and forums like this) Namenda. I think my MIL is doing better with the combination than she was with just Aricept. She seems to stay on task better and even has some initative now. It might be my wishful thinking, but… Just our response with the meds.

• March 12, 2008 at 12:38 pm

These are what I call my MIRACLE drugs….in two years they have brought my MMSE up from 26 to 30…..and I’m almost back to normal. I’ve adjusted my life to work around my slow brain…and life is great!
    I’ve met over 700 people in the chatroom since I started going there 2 years ago….and most admit the two drugs are working well together. There are some on the exelon, or exelon patch, and others on the razadyne….but they all use the namenda as well. The exelon patch is something you should ask the dr. about…..just new out….but the med bypasses the stomach, and goes directly into blood stream…so no side effects from the stomach problems.
    I should mention, you’re the second person who’s told me the dr. started namenda first…..very unusual.
    I have some research about the benefits of using both the drugs together early on. Please print this out and show it to your doctor. I’m sure you’ll find life is ever so much better when your husband is on both.
    The meds have made my confusion so much less….and I’m so thankful for them.
    Here’s the link to the research: aricept and namenda facts: http://www.simplesite.com/MotherMary/4636226

Hugs and good luck.
    Please join us in chat when you can!

• July 22, 2008 at 10:35 pm

I have taken Omega 3 (Flaxseend Oil) 2 daily for a few months and have had a dramatic improvement in Cholesterol and Triglyceride levels. Can you tell me what taking cinnamon is good for?

• August 18, 2008 at 7:24 pm

To whomever reads this, please also see my post under “Research” titled Urolene Blue.

My wife has had Alzheimer’s for about 8 years. I would say she is in a moderate stage.

She currently takes Razadyne and Namenda as well as lovastatin and a baby aspirin. The latter two are normally used to forestall plaque buildup in our arteries, but there is some thought that they might also do some good in the brain. She was not able to tolerate exelon because of stomach problems (which also occur with razadyne, but not so much).

My personal feeling is that her current regimen has slowed her rate of decline, but that’s such a subjective thing, it is hard to say anything for sure. I am sure, however, that her decline is continuing slowly.

Razadyne and namenda both work on the amyloid plaques that form around the brain cells, but have a different chemical mechanism for doing it. So, in my opinion, the more ways that the problem can be attacked simultaneously the better. Another potential avenue of attack is on the tangles inside individual brain cells, called Tau. My other post in the “research” forum discusses that.

It would be nice to get some ideas from other group members. I just joined the group yesterday.

By the way, my mother also had Alzheimer’s. She passed away about 8 years ago. She was given aricept only, because these other drugs were not available then. I do not believe that the aricept did much at all for her.

John1943

• August 19, 2008 at 7:34 am

John—Am stopping by to say: Welcome!!! Liked the post on Methylene Blue (Urolene Blue).

Aricept and my loved one parted company months ago. He is currently taking supplements…Cinnamon, Turmeric…Fish Oil and Vitamin B. Am not currently in the position to make any changes to this regimen. When I am, I will probably add Huperzine A or Melatonin (I really liked what I read in the article that I posted)or attempt to add something pharmacological.

8 years into a diagnosis and still being moderate is quite an accomplishment to me. It sounds as if you have the situation under control.

• August 19, 2008 at 2:23 pm

Hi Skericheri,

Thanks for your response. Besides razadyne and namenda, my wife takes a number of supplements–Vit C, D, and E, ginko, acetyl-l-carnitine, alpha lypoic acid, melatonin, baby aspirin. I take those supplements too.

john1943

• August 22, 2008 at 11:33 pm

I was on Aricept 4 yrs then it quit working.The was put on Razadyne at my request.I was on Namenda 2 months then threw it away refusing to take it anymore.I was drooling,didn’t know half what was going on & it was my diceision to stop it.Not everyone can take Namenda me being one of them……….I’m doing very well still.

• June 19, 2009 at 3:02 pm

My husband is having tests to see if he’s developing dementia. I have to say, I’ve been reading quite widely to try to understand more about the medicines used in treatment but I have to admit I’m confused. It seems some will work for some but not others. There are so many mixed reports.