• January 21, 2010 at 11:24 pm

My father-in-law has dementia/alzheimer’s. He had become increasingly aggressive to my mother-in-law, his caretaker. Last fall, he tried to kill her. The doctors had been trying all kinds of medications,but nothing helped. We had him sent to a psychiatric facility and they changed his medication and recommended that he be put in an assisted living facility. Right after we moved him into the facility, he had an adverse reaction to the meds. The Dr. took him off the anti-psychotics for the aggression and placed him on an anti-depressant. Since then,he has not been aggressive with anyone. Is it possible that the change in environment has made him calmer? He is on less severe medication and yet, he is calm,even with my mother-in-law. We are feeling a bit guilty, thinking that if he could be this calm, we might be able to bring him home. Anyone have any experience?

• January 28, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Yes to the question does anyone have any experience.Basically anyone dealing with care giving has guilt.If only we would of done this or if the Doctor would of done that.The answer is something like this, everyone is different and what works for one does not work for another.I am sure the Doctor who put him on the anti-psychotics for the aggression had seen it work for others,but yet it is a trial and error.Sometimes it has worked the other way around, being taken off the anti-depressant and put on the anti-psychotics.What if I said Sure take him home and he does kill your Mom.You could direct the guilt to me so you could feel better. Sorry I have enough guilt to deal with already.So here I am trying to help others to balance my guilt.I know it helps to talk to others dealing with similar problems.There is a tread on the Alzheimer’s Association website
    http://alzheimers.infopop.cc/eve
    in the Caregivers Forum called MEDS FOR AGITATION & VIOLENCE and another one Ativan/Lorazepam that would help you.Norbert gives more links to help understand the problem. A Short Practical Guild for Psychotropic Medications in Dementia Patients.
    http://www.alzbrain.org/pdf/handouts/5021.pdf
    Find their chat room where many caregivers chat about each others problems every evening. Bless your heart for feeling the concern. HUGS! Marcus