• April 12, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Hello, my name is Destiny Jones. I am 17 years old and currently a senior in high school. At my school, like many other schools around the country, I am required to do a senior project to graduate in 2010. My mom is a senior care consultant, so I chose to do The effects of Alzheimer’s on it’s patients for my project. I have truly been inspired by caregivers I have already had the opportunity to speak with and I have learned so much more about the disease that I didn’t know before. I am eager to get more information on the more personal side of caring for an Alzheimer’s patient. For my final product, I chose to volunteer at local nursing homes and assisted livings around my community, as well as creating a book that I plan on donating to the Alzheimer’s Association, as well as my school library. I am also planning on creating gift baskets for the people I volunteered with to show appreciation for the hard-work they do everyday. Please contact me if you would like to help contribute to any aspect of my project, (including my book), whether you would like to be featured in my book and share your story with others or whether you would just like to share your personal experiences with me. Either would be greatly appreciated and I would just like this forum to be used as a site for caregivers to communicate and talk about similar experiences with each other. So feel free to come here to vent and share any information you are comfortable with others hearing. It may sometimes even help (:

Thanks so much.
    You can contact me at uncgurlie297@aim.com or post a response !

• April 17, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Hello Destiny,

I think what you are doing is a wonderful thing. Your parents must be so proud. My name is Aaron and my mom has Alzheimer’s. She was diagnosed 3 years ago, and it hasn’t been the same ever since. She is now afraid to take a bath and I have to use a watering can (she loves gardening and it makes her feel safe). I think that the cure for Alzheimer’s will come from people just like you – volunteering and making awareness. Your project is especially inspiring because you are presenting to your class I assume ? It is great for young people to be educated about Alzheimer’s and the affects it has on everyone. I would love to share my story with you.

Please contact me.
    You can get my information in my profile on this site (:

• April 17, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Agreed ^.

It is a wonderful thing you are doing.

I would love to shar my story as well.
    My mother passed a year ago.
    We had a long hard journey – and I agree;AWARENESS IS THE KEY !

• April 17, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Hello Destiny !

My name is Bob, and I am from Raleigh.
    My dad currently has Alzheimer’s and I am considering putting him in an assisted living. This has probably been the hardest part of our journey. I feel guilty and I don’t want him to think that I am giving up on him, but I also feel as if his needs are too difficult for meet to meet alone.

Everything changes when a loved-one is diagnosed with this disease. It has pretty much changed my whole life. I am having a tremendous time trying to meet ends meet and am finding myself financially drained and out of options when it comes to care for him. Then I feel guilty for being so frustrated with it all. Does anybody feel the same?

• April 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Thank you all so much for replying to my forum.

I am so thankful and appreciative that you all have trusted me in sharing your own stories with me.

Bob, thank you so much for opening up with me as much as you have and putting your feelings and emotions about your father on my forum.

I will be contacting each of you individually soon.

Thanks again (:

• April 17, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Hello.

My name is Barbara. My mother is 80 years old and she is suffering in the hell we call Alzheimer’s disease.

She doesnt do much these days. She rarely talks and when she does, no one has no idea what she is talking about. (thats when we can understand her slurs and jumbled language)

I would love for you to meet her, company makes her the happiest I believe I will ever see her these days. Thats if you are comfortable with that idea. I would love to sit down and talk with you about our day-to-day life and how we try to deal. I think sharing my story as well as all of the others that have replied to your forum is the way to make a difference.

It’s thanks to wonderful people like you, that we are in fact getting closer and closer to a cure.

You are an inspiration and I thank you so much.

• April 23, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Hi Destiny. I’m very impressed by your commitment to this cause. I’d be very happy to share my story with you.

My husband was diagnosed 6 years ago. Because we caught it fairly early and got him on medication right away, I think the progress of the disease was slowed down. He has just recently declined suddenly and dramatically. It may be a little easier because I have had several years to come to terms with and accept the fact that my companion, lover and best friend of 34 years is slowly leaving me. I still cry myself to sleep at night (and other times, too), but try to be strong for him and not let him know how difficult it is for me to have had to take over everything from driving to paying the bills to taking out the trash. And I miss him! Even though he is still here.

I have to work full time and he spends his week days at the local Alzheimer’s Center Day Program. Our weekends and evenings are fairly stressful with me trying to get everything done and take care of his needs.
    And I’ve recently begun talking to the Maine Veterans Home about his eventual admission to nursing care. To top it all off, my 94 year old mother lives with me and was just recently hospitalized and is now in rehab. We are in the process of finding assisted living for her, too.

Never a dull moment! Or time to rest, relax and take care of me. But alternative is a very lonely time ahead. I don’t look forward to that, either.

• July 14, 2010 at 6:37 am

Hi Destiny,
    You are doing a great work!
    I will suggest you to read this blog, You will find a great information on “How to reduce the risk of dementia by daily exercise” you a add this blog to your thesis, see here: http://www.homecareplus.ie/blog/?p=102

• July 17, 2010 at 3:58 pm

@bob1234 wrote:

Hello Destiny !

My name is Bob, and I am from Raleigh.
    My dad currently has Alzheimer’s and I am considering putting him in an assisted living. This has probably been the hardest part of our journey. I feel guilty and I don’t want him to think that I am giving up on him, but I also feel as if his needs are too difficult for meet to meet alone.

Everything changes when a loved-one is diagnosed with this disease. It has pretty much changed my whole life. I am having a tremendous time trying to meet ends meet and am finding myself financially drained and out of options when it comes to care for him. Then I feel guilty for being so frustrated with it all. Does anybody feel the same?

Bob,

My mother has been living with us for six years. She is waffling between stages 5 and 6 of Alz. My husband and I have only been married for ten years, so needless to say we barely know what it’s like to live as a married couple. While others are spending their retirement years traveling and spending time with family and friends, we are in “lock-down” and are devoting our lives to caregiving for my mom. We can’t even take short trips out of town because the change of routine sends my mom into a spiral that I end up paying for for days.

It is beginning to take its toll on the marriage, I’m beginning to resent my mom, there is no local respite care (I’m in a rural area) and mom isn’t really bad enough to be put in a facility at this point. It has come to a choice of “her” or “me.” “Me” seems selfish and unGodly. I don’t know when the “right” time is to move her. I found a lovely place, but it simply seems premature for where she is in her disease. “Yesterday” wouldn’t be soon enough for me!

• August 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing information of Alzheimer’s. It is very useful and gives insight about home care givers and home help caregivers.

• August 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing information of Alzheimer’s. It is very useful and gives insight about home care givers and home help caregivers.

• August 20, 2010 at 12:19 pm