4. Anger at and hitting your loved one
    5. Relationships with others deteriorating
    6. Increased drinking, smoking, use of drugs
    7. Poor appetite or uncontrolled eating
    8. Retreating into yourself
    9. Thinking no one else can adequately care for your loved one and
    refusing help.
    10. Always feeling sorrow, guilt or hopelessness
    http://www.geocities.com/caregiving4alz/save_the_caregiver.htm Save The Caregiver is a must for all caregivers!

• April 28, 2008 at 5:29 pm

This is a good topic for those of us in this position. Thanks for sharing it with us Marcus.

• May 12, 2008 at 3:21 pm

My mother in law is diagnoise with dementia, we did not know at the tim when we took into our home, and she seem happy with us, she still able to go quite alot of things on her own, The problem I have is her daughters when they come all they do is criticize to the point where there is alot of tension in the family. they don’t have a clue what we go through. is there any help??

• May 18, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Hi, I’m the Rosie part of the Ron and Rosie duo. Ron is diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment. He is 58. He lost his job last Sept. due to his memory issues. His personality and behavior have changed drastically. We keep plugging along. He has had this diagnosis for seven years. We will see another nuerologist on this Mon. I think this year he will get the Alzheimers diagnosis. His mother has had the diagnosis for 21 years and she has had a slow steady decline in memory and abilities as well as drastic personality and behavior changes. I see my husband doing the same things she did when she started the journey.

I feel I’m in a constant of grief. Will it ever end?

• May 18, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Rosie—At this point in time you must feel as if you are a poster child for the “Serenity Prayer”. You probably can guess my answer to your question about grieving.

No…I don’t think that the feeling of grief ever goes completely away. I work at pushing it to the background by dwelling on the good moments, developing a degree of ‘acceptance’ and attempting to ‘problem solve’ my way through issues.

• May 18, 2008 at 7:46 pm

If people would click New Topic instead of Post a Reply when they were dealing with a topic not directly related to “Indications that a caregiver needs additional assistance”, they would probably get quicker and more frequent responses to their situation.