• March 12, 2009 at 3:19 pm

AS A CAREGIVER IT CAN BE VERY STRESSFULL. WHEN YOU FIND YOURSELF STRESSED OUT WHAT DO YOU DO????

• March 14, 2009 at 5:30 am

I don’t find myself stressed out. I catch it when I realize that I am getting stressed.When I am thinking about cussing some one out. Then I take 3 deep breaths and a short meditation on the Lords Prayer or The Prayer of St Francis but I do not think of anything else until I feel myself relax and not thinking of cussing someone out.So I never find myself stressed out anymore. I don’t stress myself out So if I get stressed out It is by someone else and let me tell ya they are going to get cussed out and see me cry…So I don’t let anyone stress me out. I tell them Do not stress me out!You would not like me stressed out…lol…

• March 22, 2009 at 3:51 am

Fancyone, it is indeed. I just did three non-stop years. I feel like I don’t even belong here; I lost my grandmother on March 1st, I was just looking for others who had lost someone, I guess.

But your post caught my eye because it is crucial–for your own well being and to let your patient go without deep regrets–that you relieve stress and get enough sleep. You can’t always do that, I know; sometimes you have to be very creative. My grandmother would settle down to watch tv shows she had watched a million times—I could not leave her unattended for even 5 minutes, and watching that show again just built on my stress. Music is my stress reducer–so I used the earbuds with my Ipod, hidden under my hair, while we watched tv. She was satisfied because I was there, and I appeared to be watcing tv with her but I was far, far away….

Find something like this, consider EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING that might help. If you’re able to catch time for a hot bath with “sleepy salts” in the water, do that. If a friend offers to spend the night, ACCEPT THE OFFER. Don’t worry about how your patient will react to it, or if you’ll be embarassed by something–accept the help, even if you just go have a two hour nap, or jog around the block 16 times.

My only regrets with my recent, prolonged 24-hour-a-day caregiving for this woman I loved so very much, was getting too tired and stressed to have the patience I needed some times. I know she didn’t remember my impatience and harsh words; I know that even when she did, she forgave me completely. But I hate that I have those regrets in the first place. So please, please, consider ways to get away even if you’re in the same room.

• July 5, 2010 at 1:52 am

my grandmother has this terrible disease. she just had a miny stroke the other day and right before it happened she started doing weird things like placing bowles and filling it with dirt in the plant pot, placed a random jar in the plant pot as well. she tore into the cake we had on the table, i asked if she wanted a bowl and she ripped the cake into and started eating like she never ate before. she mad a peanut butter and mayo sanwhich and put the may in the cabinet and the peaunt butter in the ffridge. why does she do these wierd acts??