• March 5, 2008 at 6:48 pm

The chat rooms and forums are buzzing with the latest research…..it seems 2000mg a day of cinnamon extract tablets is helping people with dementia. There must be almost of dozen of us in the chatroom at http://alzheimers.ning.com/chatroom.php that have purchased or are purchasing these pills…..so we’ll be conducting our own study!

So stay posted for good results! 😆

• March 9, 2008 at 7:16 pm

❓ Hi mary, we are all very hopeful that this will help oour loved ones, will keep you posted if any improvement takes place

• March 11, 2008 at 2:16 am

@ihatesnow wrote:

check out this research grouptext http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/rah_welcome.php http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

I’m not sure if I would feel comfortable letting someone (anyone) use the computation capability of my computer even if I wasn’t using it at the time. I would recommend caution with this!

• March 19, 2008 at 2:48 am

Mary—Charlie and I have been taking cinnamon for a week. He thinks that it is going to help prevent us from becoming diabetic.

I know that it is probably not enough time for anything to have changed. Charlie amazed me tonight when…for the first time in many, many months… he selected a pool cue and challenged someone to a game of pool.

He had a heck of a time remembering whether he was shooting high or low balls. His shots were not up to par…but…He ended up winning 3 out of 4 games.

You can bet that we are going to continue taking our cinnamon.

• March 20, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Something is definitely happening here.

Yesterday Charlie didn’t play pool (or much of anything that broke his sitting pattern)…but…He cracked jokes, was sarcastic, and initiated ideas that required action (on my part).

The only things that I can think of that could be responsible for this are the addition of cinnamon or a UTI. I still think that it is too soon for the cinnamon to have done anything…If it is a UTI, I hope that it lasts forever.

• March 26, 2008 at 5:41 pm

1. Is cinnamon dangerous? Someone told me that cinnamon had the same ingredients as Coumadin. Is this true?

— King D.

Used in small amounts as a spice and as a fragrance, cinnamon is safe.

Cinnamon oil contains trace amounts of coumarin, a blood thinner, in various small concentrations depending upon the source of the cinnamon. True cinnamon from Ceylon has very little coumarin, but the cassia variety, which is the most common variety of cinnamon sold in grocery stores in the USA, contains considerably more. There is not enough of this substance contained in the usual use of cinnamon to create a risk for bleeding.

Coumarin is a relative of the blood thinner Coumadin. Coumadin is used as a rat poison and as a potent blood thinner in very small doses.

European health agencies have issued an alert to avoid excessive consumption of the cassia variety of cinnamon due to reports of liver and kidney toxicity. The claims of the cassia variety of cinnamon related to lowering blood sugar and improving cholesterol come from a Pakistani study and are yet to be fully validated. Excessive consumption of cinnamon of the cassia variety should be avoided by those with blood disorders and especially those on blood thinners such as Coumadin.

Editor’s Note:

• March 29, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Charlie is still taking cinnamon daily.

No major changes…Charlie’s short term memory is not improving. Just little things have been noticed.

His vocabulary is becoming renewed. Fastidious, precipitation reappeared during coffee this morning

On days when I do not lay cloths out he goes to the closet and selects fresh shirts and slacks. (In the past he tended to repeat yesterday’s wardrobe)

It’s funny how much little things can matter. Life is good and getting better in our corner of NC

• March 29, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Cheri…I’m so glad to hear you’re noticing some improvement in Charlie.

I’ve just had the whole battery of cognitive testing done again…..and after one and a half years…..I have improved on every section of the testing.

My doctor is totally baffled……and told me to keep on with my cinnamon and my daily brain exercises! he he

Life is indeed great!

• March 31, 2008 at 1:15 am

Mary—Learning that you successfully bucked the odds and showed improvement after testing was great news. Thanks for sharing.

Let’s face it…You have been exercising your mind much longer than you have been taking cinnamon. The cinnamon may have helped a wee bit…but…You and your tireless efforts deserve credit for the bulk of the credit for your improvement.

Congratulations!!!!

• May 20, 2008 at 5:13 am

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between “water soluble cinnamon extract” packed in capsule form and the normal supplement that reads “Cinnamon (Cinnamonum cassia) (bark) 1g 1000 mg?

Am asking after reading the following:

“Researchers at the University of California, Santa Barbara have discovered an extract of common cinnamon that contains a class
    of small organic molecules that inhibit several key processes in Alzheimer’s disease. The cinnamon extract inhibits the aggregation of tau and disassembles fibers that have already formed, suggesting that neurofibrillary tangles can possibly be reversed by these compounds. The extract exhibits potent inhibitory activity, is orally available, water-soluble, non-toxic, and the bioactive molecules are likely brain permeable. The extract is readily produced in large quantities and can be encapsulated in powder form for oral administration. These properties make the cinnamon extract a highly favorable substance for development into an effective therapeutic to slow or prevent Alzheimer’s disease.”

• May 20, 2008 at 11:09 am

Hi Cheri:
    I wondered if you had emailed the person at jones@research.ucsb.edu with that question?
    I was going to do it, but hate to inundate him/her with our questions.

Sorry I keep missing you in chat….hope you and Charlie are doing well. Any more noticeable improvements in Charlie since starting cinnamon?

• September 7, 2008 at 7:25 am

Can anyone give me information about Cinnamon, I have just joined this website and I have never heard of this before, how is it taken, where do you get etc. Do you people still think it works? My husband has not lost his words but is short term memory is practiclly non-existenent. Jocelyn

• September 7, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Researchers at the University of California, Santa Barbara have discovered an extract of common cinnamon that contains a class of small organic molecules that inhibit several key processes in Alzheimer’s disease. The cinnamon extract inhibits the aggregation of tau and disassembles fibers that have already formed, suggesting that neurofibrillary tangles can possibly be reversed by these compounds. The extract exhibits potent inhibitory activity, is orally available, water-soluble, non-toxic, and the bioactive molecules are likely brain permeable. The extract is readily produced in large quantities and can be encapsulated in powder form for oral administration. These properties make the cinnamon extract a highly favorable substance for development into an effective therapeutic to slow or prevent Alzheimer’s disease.

One lady in the als. assn. forum said she has been giving her Mom the cinnamon tablets for six weeks with dramatic improvements in her memory and thought processes.

Cinnamon capsules are available at Walmart in the States in 500 mg capsules. Most of us are taking 1000mg morning and night.

I haven’t checked back lately on the als. assn forum to read any updates there, but I would think they are well worth giving them a try. They certainly can’t hurt anything.

• September 8, 2008 at 7:30 am

Thanks Mary, I will check out our Health shops here and see if they can help me.
    Jocelyn 🙂