• January 21, 2009 at 2:37 pm

My father passed away 3 years ago, my mom moved in with my wife and me and our now 13 yr old son. Mom is 71 has been diagnosed with Alz. 3.5 years ago but suspect has maybe had it for several years earlier than diagnosed. No real help coming from my other two siblings my wife and I have been doing everything for mom. Doctors appointments, pharmacies, feeding, bathing, bathrooms, entertaining, etc..My job was compromised due to all nighters with mom and stomach problems going to hospitals etc. I lost my job. I am considering buying realestate a one level house that I can put mom in to live and also thinking if I hire a few caregivers to work 8 hrs a day and bring in a couple other alz. people. and maybe some drop ins for several hrs a day,I could be 1. providing jobs for people 2.getting some piece of mind and being able to go home to my family in the evenings if I take a shift. 3. giving other caregivers breaks if they are in the area and need a few hrs. to do errends 4. possibly saving a family forclosure with the bad housing sales 5. creating an income 6. possibly supplementing my own mothers expenses if I put the house in my moms name she could maybe live there free if the other alz. patients could carry the mortgage and pay for the hire help.
    Has anyone else out there considered doing this or is anyone doing this? what types of obstacles have you encountered ? would like to know thoughts of others before moving forward on this. Thanks Gene

• January 23, 2009 at 5:36 am

Hey Gene I was thinking along those lines when I was working as a CNA and unpacking my mom in my spare time. I thought somehow I could take a couple more residents and my wife(CNA for 25 years) and I could get paid around the clock for taking care of my mother and a couple more buddies.We could hire a nurse to pass meds.We could hire physical therapist or who ever to come in and help out. I asked the administrator at the nursing home what he thought about it.He said “The owner of this company that owns many nursing homes did exactly that 40 years ago.”He went on to say that the difference was that they were private pay.Paying cash instead of Medicaid or Medicare.Now a days you would need a lawyer to navigate you through all of the liabilities and all.This guy,started with his mom and took in private pay until he was established enough to receive government payments and loans and he was on his way. The industry is saying that there are so many of us getting older and needing nursing homes that they must build a lot of nursing homes and start supporting our idea of a home for old people.First thing Talk to a Lawyer.Then pay the Lawyer to tell you if you can afford to take the necessary steps to make it come out to your favor. . I cut labor cost but that was just a drop in the bucket.I would have the fun-est Alzheimer’s House in the World If I Hit The Lottery.Good Luck My Friend HUGS!Marcus

• January 23, 2009 at 5:51 am

Gene—Yes…I’ve thought of it…but…do not have enough patience to do the job properly.

Marcus’s idea of going private pay is a good one. It could eliminate a lot of red tape.

Before hiring a lawyer…I would check into the state regulations. I think that may states have difference levels of licenses depending on the number of residents. (The places with the fewest residents have the lowest number of restrictions). Then I would attempt to get a general idea of the total cost per resident necessary to cover expenses (staff etc.) and make a profit. Check with an insurance company to get an estimate on the cost of liability insurance…It may be a deal breaker.

Good luck.

• January 23, 2009 at 1:55 pm

A couple of thoughts on this issue:

A few nights ago I was sitting outside in the smoking area, taking a break at the nursing home where my wife is a resident. Joining me were the night case nurse and a nephew of mine who used to own a nursing home as a business. While I shudder at the nephew’s motivation and lack of compassion, he did have some insight into this area and Marcus hit the nail on the head as far as profit; “own many homes.”

The nephew calls them “human warehouses.” He got out of the business when it was clear that there was very little profit in owning just one home and the government regulation was staggering. Like other businesses he said the key to profit is “volume.”

From her perspective, the case nurse added that indeed the amount of paperwork was immense, sometimes perhaps, jeopardizing time that could better be spent with patients.

Gene – My hat’s off to you or anyone thinking of starting a nursing home; especially if the primary motivation is caring and compassion and not for profit. Good luck to you in making it work, if that’s what you decide to do.

Cheers & Hugs – Jim

• January 23, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Thanks Marcus skericherri and Jim las Vegas! I guess I was planning on future growth (more homes) in due time and insurances for sure but didn’t think of consulting a lawyer probaby very good advise. I know I have to check in with the county that I live in for approval and License(s)
    and it is true that we are all getting older and the need will be there for more elderly homes it is a bit of risk though to take on another mortgage there will b e carrying expenses I am sure for some time before it takes off. I did look at a property yesterday and it is all ready handicap accessable ramps/ widened doorways but there where issues with water in the basement, and talk about a road being put in behind the place so I think I will pass on that one. I do want to make something like this work. I really believe it will help my own situation as well as so many others that need a break. I was up at 2:00a.m. again last night mom was wandering looking for her boots she said. tired of sleeping on the couch. Hey thanks for your advise I’ll keep in touch. Gene

• January 25, 2009 at 4:23 pm

hi, you may like to look at ‘knowitalz.com’ where kathy and family are setting up a care home,including her father for whom they care. all the best freda

• January 29, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Thanks Freida for the wonderful website That along with all information concerning alz. is a big help. Something else I have been doing while investigating my opportunities, ( I am very limited with my free time as mom needs 24/7 care) I have been a prisioner of my own home of sorts.
    But I found this wonderful opportunity that I can do while still caring for my mother. I have already had great success and thought I could share it with others that might have the same dilema. check out www,profitwithfortune.com view the 15 min presentation and if this is something you might be interested in e-mail me at ritagene@embarqmail.com and I can get you started. It really is awesome! Hey thanks again and united with others we can get through this.