• February 7, 2010 at 8:46 pm

    My father in law is in the later stages of the disease. He has been in a skilled nursing facility for the last three weeks. However since he can walk and talk (regardless of the things he says)my mother inlaw now must bring him home. They cannot afford to put him in an alzheimers unit. She is 81. I have no idea how she is going to be able to handle him. All he wants to do is eat and go out to lunch. He has no idea how old he is, where he lives or even that he has children. Before he went into the hospital and then to the nursing home, he had developed the habit of sliding to the floor and then yelling for her to get him up. He is 200 lbs and he has not idea how to get up from the floor. We are at a loss as to what to do next. He is also danger to himself and her. He will eat anything. He had found old anti itch medicine and was putting it on crackers to eat. Any suggestions would be welcome.

  • February 10, 2010 at 5:30 am

    I don’t know how cost effective it is, but can you afford to have someone come in in the evenings when symptoms are usually worse (for my father anyhow). It is important to lock up all medications (as I have had to do with my father and Lactaid – he knows what they are, just he forgets he has taken them). I have a 2 year old and we have treated the house just like it is for my 2 year old. Even more so… my father just had a colonoscopy today and I had to lock down the kitchen. I put all the kitchen chairs in the way of the kitchen so he couldn’t go in there. I supplied him with water and gatorade on the bar of the kitchen, but he didn’t attempt to go into the kitchen area or move the chairs (I would have heard him if he did). We are looking into a watch that tracks him for wandering purposes and putting a motion detector at the top of the stairs, just before the stairs so it doesn’t set off when he goes to the bathroom.

    I hope this helps. Also, we are looking at “daycare” for the day time, but it may cost as much as a nursing home I am not sure on that.

    Blessings to you!

  • February 12, 2010 at 5:43 am

    This site has a resource index and information.
    Also if your local hospital has a geriatric assessment center, contact them. They will do a complete physical workup, and work with you to provide necessary services.

    Your mother and you are going to need all resources available. Your state has a dept. of aging, ano. contact as well as contacting your local social services. There they can also determine what if any your father may qualify for.

    I would also place him on a “waiting list” for nursing homes.
    There is assistance out there.

    I wish you and your Mom well and good luck. To your Dad, peace within himself and love. Your love of each other will help you get through this together.

  • October 17, 2017 at 11:39 pm

    Very good, I think I found the knowledge I needed. I will see and refer some information in your post. thank you.
    slither io

  • November 6, 2017 at 9:00 pm

    Your article is detailed, thanks to it I solved the problem I am entangled. I will regularly follow your writers and visit this site daily.
    wings io