• June 29, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Hello everyone just wondering what i should do about my granma for months now she has not been right but last night was the worst i have saw her. I was downstairs She come back down do something in the kitchen went on her stair lift like 2 stairs then got off it and sat on the stairs then accused me of doing something to the stairlift. Then she walked up the stairs and i went to check on her and she started saying to me what was rubbish talking about someone that has probally been dead for years. She also accused me of locking her in saying the key would not work. Then this morning she asked my why i had put her stairlift at the bottom of the stairs and when i said it was you she said dont be stupid etc. I know i need to go and see a doctor but my questions are will they come and tell her that ive told them if she is diagnosed will she be told or just me. Thank you very much.

• June 29, 2009 at 8:29 pm

You must get her to a doctor.Have them diagnose the problem and get her started on the medication as soon as possible. The Doctor will probably tell you both.Make sure you make a point of asking the doctor Are You Sure?And she must take this medicine everyday? Making sure she understands.Let her know that you will help her through this but she must trust you.Never argue…you can not win…be nice even when she accuses you of stuff that you did not do. Help her even when she will say no one will help her…Never forget her even though she may forget you.Find her sense of humor and use it.. Good Luck and keep us posted.
    Start reading the post and blogs. You will have a lot to learn if you are to live with and/or care for a dementia patient.Why wait until she is packing up the whole house to go home (as so many of them do) to learn how you are going to deal with it?When you can see things coming you will be better at dealing with them than if you wait til it is happening and go on here and get a reply…somethings can not wait that long. Does she cook? Watch her closely.She might forget how and burn down the house. Good Luck and Take Care of Your Granma………….Marcus