• January 1, 2009 at 4:52 am

Hi.

I’m new. My aunt is 50 years old. She looks very young and she is beautiful and it’s very strange to say this. Recently, she called me and asked me how are my grandparents, but they died 12 years ago. Her parents, my grandparents.

I spoke to my mum and my aunt was seeing the doctor and he said she has Alzheimers but she is only 50. I never thought this was possible at that age?

I’m confused and scared. I’m afraid that she might die and I don’t know how to make it better or how to get her better and make her be like she was before. If she has it this young then it might be more easy for her to be cured? Maybe she can recover from this?

I’d appreciate any advice.

Thank you

Honestly, I’m 35, and she is 50, but if you saw us in a photograph you might think that she is my daughter. She looks so young and she’s so pretty. It feels wierd that we have an answer to why she started acting this way but I’m scared to think that it might be a serious disease. She looks so young and she never acted wierd before this. I’m so worried about her. It’s like she’s not acting like herself anymore? I’m really anxious about this. I’d be so grateful for any advice please?

• January 1, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Hey, it sounds as if she has early-onset whcih is the best time, from what I’ve read, to start medication with hope of delaying the advancement rate of Alzheimers. Lot of other conditions can worsen the symptoms such as a infection. I’ve been dealing with my mom’s condition for nearly two years now, my best advise to you is searching the internet. It has a wealth of wisdom and to continue to seek other out that has the experience with other suffering from this. Read their post the more you know the better prepared you are to deal with what may be ahead. Thoughts of hope for you and yours, Veda.

• January 2, 2009 at 2:06 am

Thanks Veda and best wishes to you and your mother.

I wanted to ask a few other questions, but I thought I’d start another thread about it as if another newbie comes along and wants to ask the same (or similar) questions then they’d be more likely to find the thread (and the answers) that way.

thanks again

D
    x

• January 11, 2009 at 10:44 am

I have been hearing in the news lately that early onset of alz, is being diagnosed in people in their 50s,and it is a great shame, but, I have also heard from people on this site, that some people stay in the earlt stages for guite some time,my DR. told me more I can do with keeping my brain active, and exercise is good. lol trish