• August 24, 2010 at 10:36 am

What is the point where mom has to live with someone? She was diagnoses with Alz. a few wks ago. The only major thing right now is she cant sleep. She was taking a sleeping pill but makes her too drunk the next day. I told her to half the dose but she refuses to try. She sees spiders and hears people knockin at her door all hrs of the nite. Her wish when we told her was to live on her on as long as possible.

• October 25, 2010 at 3:58 pm

For me, sleep deprivation for us both determined that Mom needed to move on. I couldn’t care for her sanely and safely when I couldn’t get a solid stretch of sleep, and she didn’t feel safe when I got so sleep-deprived that I would no longer hear her wake and need help.

Your experience with the drugs is not so unusual. Keep looking into other options, including lowering the dose until the side-effects may decrease, or using a different drug. As a holistic health person, I’ve had luck with herbal sleep aids for myself, and these have many less side effects, but it’s best to consult someone who really understands them, vs. getting info. off the internet.

Good luck. This is a tough one.