• January 15, 2009 at 5:11 pm

hi,
    I was wondering if anyone had an answer to this question. I have a few signs around my house esp on the bathroom door and mirror to close door after using. My mom continually leaves the door open even w/the signs posted. When I say to her that she left the door open, she responds, Oh I thought I closed it. She is in stage 4 of Alzheimers and Isee the changes occur weekly. Am I wasting my time w/the signs?

• January 16, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Hey Terri, We put signs on the bathrooms marking it as a bathroom to have people stand there and say “Hey,where is the bathroom?” I point to the sign of a picture of a toilet,just to have them ask “Is that it?” I open the door and they go in.Signs are helpful to some but not all.It is up to you to decide if they are helpful to your Mom or not. She may just be resentful that you made a sign telling her to do something.She may just be thinking Duh, I know to close the door.I don’t need a sign telling me to do so. I will show her and just leave it open for spite.Then again she may not pay attention to the sign and be doing what she has always did.Signs on the interstate say maximum speed 55mph.What do you think? Does it help?
    The 10 Absolutes
    Never ARGUE, instead AGREE
    Never REASON, instead DIVERT
    Never SHAME, instead DISTRACT
    Never LECTURE, instead REASSURE
    Never say REMEMBER, instead REMINISCE
    Never say I TOLD YOU, instead REPEAT
    Never say YOU CAN’T, instead say DO WHAT YOU CAN
    Never COMMAND, or DEMAND, instead ASK or MODEL
    Never CONDESCEND, instead ENCOURAGE and PRAISE
    Never FORCE, instead REINFORCE
    Pick your battles wisely.Good Luck and prayers to ya. HUGS! Marcus

• January 17, 2009 at 6:55 am

Hi Marcus,
    While I agree with the 10 absolutes it is not that easy to stick to them when you have it all day and every day, however I do try.
    Terric,
    Re the signs if they are not working take them down, close the door your self, I know these things are annoying but is it worth getting upset over, there will be worse things to worry about.
    Best of luck, Jocelyn