• January 22, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Last week, I wrote about how the presence of loving individuals surrounding and encouraging someone who is ill or injured can have a markedly beneficial effect.
    The subjective side of healing is fascinating, and important to you as a dementia caregiver, so I want to add some thoughts today for you to consider.
    Based on her experiences healing from breast cancer, Julie Silver, M. D. wrote about its more non-medical elements the November/December issue of AARP The Magazine. Much of what she wrote about you already know from reading information on how to reduce the effects of caregiver stress—exercise, get sufficient sleep, eat right.
    But she also had a list which she called “Putting Your Mind to It.” This is important to you becuase of the levels of stress with which you are dealing in caring for an Alzheimer’s patient. Stress produces hormones that can be harmful, especially over the long term. They block the body’s ability to heal itself and—in your case as caregiver—they can damage your health and well-being.
    Here are what Dr. Silver described as “mental strategies” that can help you:
    • Reduce your pain. What pain, you ask? How about those that headaches or those aching muscles and joints? It disrupts your needed sleep and adds to your stress. “Don’t be a hero,” she writes, “talk to your doctor and get some relief.”
    • Consider mind/body therapies such as meditation, guided imagery and other means of coaxing your body to relax. If you’re interested in more in-depth information, there’s a chapter on this subject in my book, Search for Light: Ten Crucial Lessons for Caregivers (http://www.blueprintforcaregiving.com).
    • Monitor you mood. Your emotions will affect the way you respond to stress. Don’t let your down feelings take over your world view. Gratitude and an intentional search for small blessings throughout the day allow for a significant mood change. Do something everyday that makes you happy—call a friend, take a bubble bath, read something you like or that inspires you.
    • Surround yourself with love. This is the subject of last week’s post, so ‘nuff said. The patient needs loving support and so do you.
    • Tap into your spirituality. Meditation and prayer can help your body to relax and your mind to find a positive frame for your experiences as a caregiver. I strongly believe that none of us is ever alone; we are constantly surrounded by a loving Divine Presence who is willing to listen to our laments, our anger and frustration, and who will share the caregiver burdens we’re carrying. Access this Presence through prayer and meditation and you can feel the weight of your responsibilities becoming lighter.
    Blessings, Joanne

• September 8, 2021 at 5:20 am

I now really need healing after a very sick relationship that lasted about three years. Now I’m looking for a maximum of onenightfriend on dating sites, because I can’t decide on something more serious. I’ve had enough of past relationships so far that I want to be absolutely alone for now. Such things.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by BillShiphr.