• October 23, 2008 at 8:38 am

Dear Everybody,

Up-to-date there is no real treatment for Alzheimer’s Disease available. In the past there has probably been several drug candidates which showed efficiency in animal studies. However, when tested in clinical trials in humans they failed to demonstrate efficiency.
    This maybe due to the fact that some of these candidate drugs may not have passed the so called blood-brain-barrier (BBB).
    Many high potential ‘would be’ CNS drugs (especially biopharmaceuticals) are currently not available to the brain because they do not (adequately) cross the blood-brain barrier. Therefore, the blood-brain barrier is a major hurdle for successful CNS drug development

I am working at a biotech company in the Netherlands (http://www.tobbb.com) which developed a (1st in class) brain targeting technology. It can serve as a carrier of drugs and can bring them to the area in the brain where it is needed to exert its effect.

My question to all of you is if anybody may remembers a drug which may have raised hopes due to promising pre-clinical results but was then shelved because it did not show any effect in humans? Especially interesting would be of course if there has been already a suspicion that it might be due to the fact that it did not cross the BBB.

We as a company need candidate drugs to further develop our technology. Don’t be put off by the idea that it I am doing this search in the name of a company…

I am looking forward to your ideas and input,

Max