• May 15, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I’ve noticed a new trend with my parents. They are becoming more and more obsessed over certain matters. For instance, my mother wanted a perm, she told me on Thursday she wanted one. I made an appointment, wrote it on her calender, and told her we’d get it done on Saturday. No less than 6 more times on Thursday I saw her walking around with a phone book. When I asked her why, she said “I need a perm and obviously no one else is going to do it for me.” Each time I reminded her about the appointment on Saturday. Again on Friday, I found her with the phone another 4 or 5 times, throwing a fit that no one would do anything about it so she has to do everything herself. I checked her phone, though she carried that phone book around, she never made any calls. Now today, Saturday, her appointment is at 4, she was ready to go by 10 am.

My father is much the same way. He got a bill from the VA and he carried that around with him, reading it out loud for a week and a half until I could sneak it away and hide it. I told him many many times we’re making payments on it. But, he wouldn’t just read the information pertinent to him. He would read aloud EVERY WORD AND NUMBER on the bill. And wouldn’t stop until he ran out of words. He wasn’t even worried about paying it, he just kept reading it over and over.

Those are just two minor examples of this obsessive nature I’ve started noticing in them. It seems to be increasing. I would be interested to hear if others are experiencing this as well and how they’re dealing with it. I don’t want to belittle their feelings that something is important. But I also don’t want to encourage them to continue this, if it’s even something they can help.