• October 10, 2008 at 6:59 am

A Phase II clinical trial called the RAGE Inhibitor Study was brought to my attention today. I’d skipped over it because I thought that it was a study about anger in people with A/D instead of an intervention against A/D. It appears to be an attempt at dealing with plaques, tangles, and inflammation. The medication is in pill form. Two requirements are a Mini Mental State Exam (MMSE) score between 14-26 (inclusive) at screening & participants must be receiving acetylcholinesterase inhibitors on a stable dose for at least 4 months. I’ll post the description as it appears and a link below that you can use for further information information:

http://www.alzheimers.org/clinicaltrials/fullrec.asp?PrimaryKey=287

“Phase 2, Treatment, Randomized, Double Blind, Parallel, Safety/Efficacy Study

Evidence suggests Alzheimer’s disease may be caused by amyloid plaque deposits and tangles in the brain which lead to cognitive decline, memory loss and behavioral changes. Many proteins surround the amyloid plaques in Alzheimer’s disease patients. One of the proteins, Receptor for Advanced Glycation Endpoints, called RAGE for short, binds to amyloid and may promote inflammation and lead to nerve cell damage.”

“Researchers found that by inhibiting the RAGE protein, plaque formation could be reduced in animal models. The experimental drug was developed as a RAGE inhibitor (RI). This is a novel pathway for trying to treat Alzheimer’s disease. Some participants will be invited to volunteer for an important sub-study, which includes magnetic resonance imaging of the brain and a lumbar puncture, to examine cerebrospinal fluid for changes in amyloid beta protein and other markers.”

“The study will recruit nearly 399 volunteers at 44 U.S. research sites. Each participant will be evaluated in the clinic 12 times over the course of 21 months. Participants will be randomly assigned to one of three groups: two groups will receive different doses of the experimental drug and the third group will receive a placebo (an identical inactive pill).”

• September 9, 2019 at 8:29 am

Glad to know this awesome information. Thanks