• March 14, 2008 at 3:51 pm

    http://www.alz.org/we_can_help_medicalert_safereturn.asp Enroll individuals with Alzheimer’s or dementia into MedicAlert + Safe Return
    In a move to significantly improve the safety of individuals with Alzheimer’s, the Alzheimer’s Association and the MedicAlert Foundation have created an alliance to bring you MedicAlert® + Alzheimer’s Association Safe Return®.

    MedicAlert + Safe Return offers you the best of both worlds:

    Assistance when a person wanders or is lost
    Access to vital medical information in the time of need

    How MedicAlert + Safe Return works
    When a person with dementia wanders or becomes lost, one call immediately activates a community support network to help reunite the lost person with his or her caregiver. When a person is found, a citizen or law official calls the toll-free 24-hour emergency response number on the identification product and the individual’s family or caregivers are contacted. The nearest Alzheimer’s Association office provides support during search and rescue efforts. In addition, should medical attention be required, access to a personal health record is immediately available.

    Benefits of MedicAlert + Safe Return membership
    Provides you peace of mind

    Provides vital medical information to emergency responders

    Live 24-hour emergency response service for wandering and medical emergencies

    24-hour family notification service

    24-hour care consultation services provided by master’s level counselors

    How MedicAlert + Safe Return works

    Benefits of membership

    Enrollment package

    Jewelry for caregivers


    Learn about other safety issues

    MedicAlert + Safe Return enrollment package
    For $49.95, with a $25 annual renewal fee, the enrollment kit includes:

    MedicAlert Identification bracelet or pendant
    Wallet card
    “6 Steps to a Safe Return” magnet
    Personal Health Record Summary
    Alzheimer’s Association brochure

    Back to top

    Optional jewelry for caregivers
    For a reduced fee of $25, caregiver jewelry, along with all the benefits of membership, is available. In an emergency, it alerts others that you provide care for a person with Alzheimer’s or related dementia.

    There are four easy ways to enroll:

    Phone: Enroll by phone using a credit card. Call 1.888.572.8566 between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays (PST). When enrolling by phone, you will be asked to provide the following information:
    Member’s name and contact information
    Medical conditions
    Medications (including dosages)
    Member’s exact wrist measurement in inches (required when ordering a bracelet)
    At least two contact names, addresses and phone numbers (more can be added, if needed)
    Credit card number and expiration date

    Mail: To enroll by mail, simply print and complete the enrollment form and send with payment and the member’s photo to:
    MedicAlert + Safe Return
    2323 Colorado Avenue
    Turlock, CA 95382
    You may also phone 1.888.572.8566 to have an enrollment form mailed to you.

    Enrollment form in English
    Enrollment form in Spanish

    Fax: Print the form, complete and fax to 1.800.863.3429.

    Online enrollment coming soon!

    More information
    Safety Issues
    Publications – Safety Topics

  • March 17, 2008 at 4:09 am

    The Safe Return & MedicAlert program are fine…but…They seem limited. They appear to rely only on non-technical means of finding the wanderer. The fact that a wandering person with Alzheimer’s tends to hide (sometimes under things or in wooded areas) makes them difficult to locate. Oftentimes the wanderer is not located until after they have expired.

    The following sites offer technology based services and require the individual to wear a transmitting device (eg: bracelet).


    Is offered in may communities nation wide. The participants (if they are financially able) pay for batteries.


    Is a relatively new fee based service that is offered by Skyshield USA. It is pricey…but…Appears to be a viable alternative.

    If anyone has other links that offer solutions to the wandering problems…Please post them.

  • April 28, 2008 at 5:40 pm

    I’ve experienced this situation and let me tell you, it put me in a tailspin of grief and dispair even though my Mother was brought back home to safety by our loving and caring neighbor who helped her get out of the ditch where she was trying to cross the road!!!! I didn’t know she had left the house while I was vacuuming in the back bedrooms until she walked in the door with the neighbor! I knew this was a possibility in the future. Well, the future got here before I was prepared. I will be searching out such a service to aid in this situation happening again.

  • November 30, 2009 at 8:15 pm

    here are millions of people in America taking care of elderly parents without any pay. Unfortunately, there is no direct financial aid that can help compensate you for the lost income. However, some relief may be found in an unlikely place — the income tax.
    also let me advice u to a great discover Online Pharmacy get medication fast and easy.
    Turnabout is fair play: Just as you were once claimed as a dependent by your parents on their federal income tax return, now you may be in a position to claim your parents as a dependent on your federal income tax return. If you paid for more than half of your parents expenses for the year and their income is less than $3,400 for the year, you may be able to take them as a dependent on your income tax return. In addition, there’s a little-used dependent care credit that you may be eligible for that allows you to deduct as much as $1,200 from your tax bill if you pay someone to care for your parents while you work. Talk to your tax or financial advisor to see if you qualify for these deductions.
    Click here to find out more!